Welcome (^_^)

Hey welcome to Kaitlyn and Mikiko's blog "I'm Always Right!?" Our 8th grade project. We're newbies on blogger and so far it's been a very interesting experence. Please enjoy and feel free to comment. Its always nice to have a healthy argument! @-@

Sunday, February 7, 2010

I Didn't Know That!

For the past week my class has been watching a documentary call Food Inc. This documentary has really gotten me to think, what am I really eating? I see all these food products with pictures of happy cows and happy chickens, or logos like "Farm Fresh" and "Best Meat on Earth." But is it really "Farm Fresh"!? Whenever I thought of where my meat came from I always thought of the farms you see in movies. Acres and acres of land, with lots of grass and cows, you know, "happy cows." But then all those thoughts flew away so fast I wouldn't even dare to try and catch them. This documentary showed me that's almost ALL companies keep their cows in small, overcrowded, unsanitary conditions! It was not only disturbing to watch, it was sad.

This documentary tells you the truth, it shows you behind the scenes of everything that goes on with your meat. Another thing this documentary showed me was that companies have started to feed their cows corn instead of grass. Why corn? Corn is cheaper for the companies to buy and it makes cows fatter quicker. Even though this isn't healthy for the cows companies choose to do it anyway. Well then, what is healthy for the cows? Because you asked, a cow's normal diet consist of grass, grains, fiber and water. A cow's diet must also be a balanced diet. Yet, companies are feeding them corn, and only corn. Feeding the cows corn is one of the ways to increase the likelihood for cows to become infected with E-coli. E-coli is a type of bacteria that can be found in your food. Those infected with E-coli can be treated although that's very unlikely. Most types of E-coli are harmless but some can lead to kidney failure and some even death.

After watching this I was in shock. I would have never known this could be happening in our food system. I would have thought it would be illegal for industries to send out meat with E-coli. E-coli can kill us. And what if it was a small little farm and not a big industry? Would they have shut down the farm because their meat lead to someone's death? What's the difference between the two? What can WE do about it? Where are the heath regulations? What's going on, because I surely didn't know that!


-Kaitlyn Rivera

No comments:

Post a Comment